Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ribbon of light


OK, it's not biology - so I am out of my element a bit - but this is really cool. Check out the image to the right.

This is a ribbon of light that is expanding its way through the universe at the rate of about 10 million kilometers per hour. The astronomers who snapped this amazing pic believe that this is the shock-wave of a star that went through supernova about 8000 years ago. While that is extremely cool, look closely at the image. All of those points of light are not stars. A few of them are stars, but most are actually GALAXIES!!! Collections of thousands of stars. The milky way is the galaxy we live in.

When I think of the universe in these terms, I am always astounded that we exist at all. Who is man that you are mindful of him? Of course, it also reminds me of Carl Sagan's prediction that life is out there somewhere else as well. I wonder... It seems to me that God is far too creative to have stopped with just one earth - but who knows.

No comments: